Sunday, November 14, 2010

Puree Recipes

Ok.... Nothing super exciting.....but here are the 'recipes' for the purees I made this weekend.

Basic Veggies:
I used the same method for Cauliflower, Carrots, Sweet Potatoes, Butternut Squash, Acorn Squash and Broccoli. Some people mix veggies together. I like to keep all mine separate till I get my kid use to each flavor.

Peel and dice into 1 inch cubes.
Steam till fork tender
add to blender with water from bottom of steamer. apx. 3 parts veg 1 part water....this really depends on what stage your baby is at. Add more water for thinner puree
I add 1/2 tbs of butter per every 4 cups of veggies

After it is pureed allow to cool . I use a 9x13 pan.

Then portion out and place in freezer uncovered till frozen solid. After frozen, put in plastic bags.
I freeze mine in regular or mini muffin tins. I did buy special food storage containers from BRU....waste of money. Muffin tins or ice trays and plastic storage bags work better.
To remove from tins after frozen....just let them sit on the counter for a minute or two and then pop out with a butter knife.

Apples and Pears with Cinnamon and

3 medium golden delicious apples ( or any non tart apple)
3 medium pears
1/2 cup All natural unsweetened apple juice
1 tbs unsalted butter
large pinch of cinnamon

Peel, core and chop fruit. Sautee in medium/large sauce pan with juice, cinnamon and butter for 5-7 minutes, or until soft.

Blend till smooth. NOTE: you do NOT need to add any extra water.

cool and freeze just like veggies


Roasted Sweet Potatoes and Chicken

3 large boneless, skinless chicken breast
4 medium sweet potatoes
1 tsp cinnamon
1 cup water

Peel and chop potatoes into 1 inch cubes. Cut each chicken breast in half.
Line 9x13 baking pan with aluminum foil. Spread chopped potatoes in even layer on bottom of pan. Place Chicken breast halves on top of potatoes. Pour water into pan. Sprinkle evenly with Cinnamon. Cover with another layer of aluminum foil....leave one corner slightly open to allow steam out.

Bake at 400 for 20-30 minutes....until meat thermometer reads 160. ****DO NOT UNDER COOK******

Dice chicken, add chicken and potatoes to blender and blend till smooth. You will need to add a lot of liquid to this one. I used water today...but I would suggest using Organic Chicken broth. I will be using that next time. Also, do not try to blend too much at one time. Maybe I just have a horribly cheap blender but mine was really getting hot while I was doing this one.

Ok those are the recipes for what I did over the weekend. I'm going to try to add up the cost of everything and compare it to what I would have paid if I had bought pre-made organic baby food. I will try to have that done by tomorrow night.


Butternut Squash streaming


Chicken and Sweet Potatoes


Acorn Squash and Broccoli ready to freeze

Carrot puree in those stupid containers

Frozen Cauliflower

No comments:

Post a Comment